07 August 2007

The Bonfire of the Vanities -- Tom Wolfe



What can I really say about this book because I am not really sure if I enjoyed it. I know that sounds strange, but it was good at times and extremely boring at others. I had a lot of trouble because I did not identify with the weakness of the main character, at times I just wanted to slap him in the face. It was an interesting story that does show the weakness that is present in some of the people in power. It also does show some of the similarities that exist across socioeconomic situations where no similarities might seem to be present. I speak of some of the actions of the people in the Bronx relatively the people on Park Avenue and Wall Street, as presented in this book. I wouldn't recommend this book too highly, mostly because I found the ending to be so anticlimactic that I wanted to throw the book across the room when I turned the page and realized that was it. Other than that, it does provide a unique portrayal of some of the characters that exist in New York City, so it could be worth reading. The main problem is that it really just seems dated because it was written over 20 years ago and the world has changed a great deal since then. But all the same, the world has not changed that much and the book was worth the read to me because I see how little has changed in some areas even over two decades.

No comments: