07 August 2007

The Fabric Of The Cosmos -- Brian Greene



Brian Greene has become one of my favorite authors because of the way he presents higher level physics to an inexperience audience, but still provides enough details in the footnotes to satisfy those of us with a little more mathematical training. I read his first book, "The Elegant Universe", when it came out a few years ago. This is a more complete work in my mind that covers almost everything in physics from Newton to the present. It really changed the way I think about certain physical systems that I had previously taken for granted. I have taken physics courses including quantum mechanics, and I have always thought that without the mathematics most of the meaning is lost and certainly it is usually harder for me to understand. However, in this book, several things were presented that I thought I already knew, but I saw them in a completely different light such that know I feel I have a much better understanding of what is going on. The future of physics, all science for that matter, is incredibly interesting and open for a wide variety of new ideas. This book opened my eyes to some of these ideas as well as explaining nearly all of the progress that has taken place so far. A must read for anyone who wants to understand the universe on a deeper level.

No comments: